614Fitness, Fitness Columbus, Best Gym, The Workouts, SGT, Small Group Training, super food
Most people probably know flaxseeds are good for us. Check out these compelling reasons to eat more flax:
Flax is so easy too! Buy them ground or grind them in a coffee grinder and add to hot cereal, yogurt, smoothies, soups, casseroles, muffins, applesauce… the list is pretty long here.
Store opened containers of flax in the fridge or freezer as the oils are delicate and need some protection against the elements.
Fruity Flaxseed Muffins
These moist and high-flavor flax muffins are not only good for you, but they taste great too.
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin pan with paper or foil liners. Coat inside of liners with a quick squirt of canola cooking spray.
2. In large mixing bowl, beat together the pineapple with juice, apples, canola oil, egg, egg whites or egg substitute, sour cream, and molasses until mixture is light and fluffy. Stir in raisins or dried fruit.
3. In medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flaxseed.
4. Add flaxseed mixture to sour cream mixture, beating on low speed just until combined (batter will be a little lumpy). Spoon batter by 1/4 cupful into prepared muffin pan.
5. Bake in center of preheated oven for about 20 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and springy to the touch.
Yield: 12 muffins
Nutritional Analysis: Per muffin: 194 calories, 5 g protein, 31 g carbohydrate, 5.5 g fat, .8 g saturated fat, 2.1 g monounsaturated fat, 2.6 g polyunsaturated fat, 20 mg cholesterol, 4.5 g fiber, 224 mg sodium, 1.7 g omega-3 fatty acids. Calories from fat: 28%.
Source: The Flax Cookbook: Recipes and Strategies for Getting The Most from The Most Powerful Plant on the Planet. From WebMD website.
Liz Weinandy, M.P.H., R.D.
Besides being a member of the 614Fitness community, Liz is a Registered Dietitian and staff dietitian at the OSU Wexner Medical Center. She has published numerous articles on diet and appears often on local television.
6417 Busch Blvd
Columbus, OH 43229